Senior Sub-editor/Copy-editor, Cape Town
Senior Sub-editor/Copy-editor, Cape TownDecember 11, 2018 •
We’re looking for a Senior Sub-editor/Copy-editor to support its editorial team on a variety of editorial outputs. The objective is to ensure that our printed and digital communications consistently make a positive impression and that they persuade our target market to engage with our insights.
- Editing copy for digital and print communications (including blog posts, press releases, internal communications, research reports, case studies, website copy, social media, brochures, video scripts, podcasts and presentations)
- Proofreading page layouts, ensuring client changes have been implemented correctly
- Identifying grammar, style, tone and content errors or inconsistencies and ensuring accuracy
- Keeping a record of non-conformities, inconsistencies, etc. to form the basis of tailored feedback to authors
- Suggesting enhancements to existing storylines
- Reviewing documents in line with the organisation’s brand, language and style guides
- Formatting documents in MS Word and MS PowerPoint to ensure consistent brand application
- Brainstorming ideas for optimising editorial outputs
- Planning ahead and managing time to meet deadlines
- Assisting the brand and editorial manager (deputy editor) with other administrative and editorial duties (e.g. the management of the editorial calendar, editorial clients and external suppliers)
- A three-year tertiary qualification in English, linguistics or a related field
- English as home language
- A minimum of three years’ experience as a copy-editor of English publications and/or other communications
- Excellent copy-editing, writing and organisational skills
- Sound knowledge of editorial and Plain English principles
- The ability to pick up on ambiguity in writing and to propose unambiguous alternatives
- A keen interest in knowing and applying the latest linguistic norms in different contexts
- Excellent attention to detail
- An eye for aesthetics
- A high level of proficiency in MS Word and MS PowerPoint
- The ability to suggest the most appropriate format for packaging content for different platforms and audiences
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team, to meet tight deadlines and to work effectively under pressure
- Flexible, organised and task-oriented
- Knowledge of economics and/or the financial sector (advantageous)
- Intellectual curiosity
- Proactive and taking initiative
- Meeting stakeholder expectations
- Taking responsibility
- Kindness, humility and respect
This is a full-time opportunity, open to candidates who are legally allowed to work 40 hours per week in South Africa. Preference will be given to Employment Equity candidates.
When you apply for this position, please send with your CV at least one sample of your written work and one sample of a piece that you’ve edited for factual correctness, consistency, grammar style and tone.
Shortlisted candidates will also be required to take a copy-editing and writing test.
Applications are open until 31 December 2018.
Please apply online here