In his 45-year career, Andre has worked in the insurance and banking industries as well as government supervision of financial institutions.
He started his career with 12 years in the actuarial and investment departments of a large life insurer in South Africa, followed by a stint of 13 years in merchant and hire purchase banking. For the last 13 years, he has been the deputy executive officer at the Financial Services Board (the FSB, the non-bank financial supervisor) in South Africa, responsible for the supervision of life and general insurers and occupational pension plans.
Andre has previously been a member of the executive team at the FSB. Apart from the normal strategic and budgetary planning and controls for the supervisory office, he interacted with government on long-range regulatory planning. He has also:
- Participated as a lecturer in the Toronto Training Center’s activities on the insurance executive programme
- Was a member of the executive committee of the International Association of Insurance Supervisors (IAIS)
- Chaired various industry and ad hoc committees and has been an ex officio member of several other committees.
- Was a member of the King Committee that revised the corporate governance Code for South Africa
- Chaired the Emerging Markets and Educational sub-committee of the IAIS for several years
- Was a speaker at many meetings and conferences in and outside South Africa
- Was involved as reviewer and writer of IAIS training curricula under the supervision of the World Bank
- Received a certificate of recognition as a Distinguished Fellow of the IAIS
Since his retirement from the FSB in 2004, Andre has become involved in international financial regulatory and supervisory consulting work. His activities have included:
- Insurance-related work in Mauritius
- Consulting for the World Bank, IMF and FIRST INITIATIVE in Namibia, Swaziland and Southern Africa
- Programme manager for part of the Capacity-Building Programme for non-bank supervisors in the Southern African Development Community (SADC)
- Working with the International Insurance Foundation consulting in Bosnia-Herzegovinia on the Insurance Core Principles
- Working in Kenya on consumer education
- Consulting the Botswana regulatory authority on a framework for micro-finance institutions
- Being an independent non-executive director of the Quantum (Insurance) Group based in Liechtenstein
- Chairing the Audit Committee
- Doing an assessment of 12 jurisdictions on their compliance with the IAIS Insurance Core Principles, as contracted by the Southern African Development Community (SADC) in 2012